Wednesday 3 November 2010

Not just ordinary chickens





I'm hoping that these chickens will have the power to make some children very happy this year. They are heading off to Australia to be part of the Softies for Mirabel campaign which is spearheaded/certainly helped out by the lovely Pip from Meet Me at Mikes.

They have been stuffed with small offcuts of fabric that are too small to be used for my business cards. I have been keeping them for a while knowing that I wanted to use them as an alternative to regular stuffing. This giraffe one has been stuffed with the larger pieces of offcuts (still smaller than business card size)
and therefore is a little lumpy. I was hoping that the stuffing would be smoothed out when he was stuffed but it wasn't to be. He was still declared snuggly by Tara though!

This little fella in contrast is stuffed with teeny tiny bits of fabric that I chopped up and it does make for a smoother filling. I was cursing though as I chopped up the little teeny tiny bits (think less than 1cm) while the girls were playing at an indoor play centre and the number of time the pieces were knocked to the floor by kids running past! Lesson learned there!

So these guys are already winging their way to Australia and if you want to get involved then Pip needs the softies to be there by December 7th - get your skates on!

2 comments:

june at noon said...

Aw, so cute! I'm sure they'll be well loved, lumpy or not. :) (All the hugs will smooth out the lumps, right?)

our shabby cottage said...

Hi from Australia,i found you searching for sewing blogs. The chickens are great and I'm sure Pip will appreciate them coming all the way from Blighty!